argus client crashes

Johannes Russek russek at win-rar.com
Fri May 25 08:10:03 EDT 2007

Hello Everybody,
I am currently trying to set up a little test setup with a few servers
running argus as a daemon to log network flows.
My test server is a dualcore pentium machine running fedora core 6 kept
uptodate. my test client is a laptop running fc5 uptodate.
i installed argus-server and argus-client on both machines, after
configuring the server i am successfully able to see the network flows
by polling on the local machine (still using the external ip).
but as soon as i try to poll over my remote network (ratop -S ip or ra
-S ip), the client crashes with a buffer overflow. a friend of mine kind
of recreated the bug by installing argus-client on his ubuntu system
(current) where his client crashed with a segmentation fault and core
dump right after reading in the /etc/services file.
i can give you an strace log and the stack trace and memory map of my
client crash and the strace log of my friends client crash, if you want.
do you need any more information?
is this a known bug? am i doing something wrong?
best regards, johannes russek

Best Regards,

Johannes Rußek
Linux/UNIX Administration