Radium File Transfer Feature

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Jan 29 10:50:26 EST 2007

Gentle people,
One un-documented feature of radium() is the ability to transfer
argus data files.

The concept is that radium could (optionally) keep a local archive,
possibly using
our standard argus archive file strategy, and for some reason you may
want
to transfer the records in bulk, or you may need to get some records
that were lost,
for some reason, or you just want to look at last years data, say 1
hour at a time
and you want to get it from a persistent archive somewhere on the
network.

You do this with any ra* program, using an extension to the "-S" option.

    ra -S radium:port[/full/path/name/to/argus/data/file]

Argus does not support this feature, so you'll need to attach to a
radium() to get
any data from it.  I found a few glitches in the current
implementation (rc.39),
(fetching a valid directory hangs argus()) but I'm fixing these
problems now.

Now this could raise some security eyebrows, but we have strong
authentication
support in radium(), chroot() support, and radium() will only
transport argus data files,
so you can't transfer arbitrary files with the mechanism.  Radium()
actually parses the
files, and processes the data before it transports them, so
operations like remote
filtering work with this feature.

Comments, suggestions, opinions are more than welcome!!!!