radium: information in argus.log lost after restart

Wolfgang Barth wob at swobspace.de
Sun Feb 18 08:20:57 EST 2007

Hi Carter,

> Sounds like radium() is having problems restarting?
> Do you have an messages in /var/log/messages from the radium
> process?  If its being rejected by the remote servers, messages
> will be there.   Radium, if its shutdown properly, will do the right
> thing with its sockets, at least that is the design.
>
> Radium doesn't have any sense of the data that is in its output file,
> so it can't "throw away old information", but it could possibly corrupt
> the output file, somehow.   If radium is corrupting the file, if you can
> send me a copy of it, or anything like it, I'll be glad to figure out
> how
> to read it.

I think radium does not append but overwrite data in argus.log. I attached
two files: argus.log.1 is the version before restarting radium. argus.log.2
is the same argus.log some time after restarting radium. The size of
argus.log did not change for some time before growing the normal way.

If you cut the first 1024 bytes from each file, they differ. If radium
would append correctly, it should contain the same information.

dd if=argus.log.1 bs=1k count=1 | ra -r - | less

starts with 2007-02-18 12:20:24.104126 ...

dd if=argus.log.2 bs=1k count=1 | ra -r - | less

starts with 2007-02-18 12:22:48.272104 (the time of restart).

I think radium is overwriting the content from the beginning and did not
append. My logfile shows only information about starting radium (no error,
but also no shutdown).

Wolfgang
--
<wob (at) swobspace de> * http://www.swobspace.de