Omitting data with dir = <?>

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Dec 13 15:34:46 EST 2007

Hey Esteban,
Seems like a precedence problem.  The lexical parser
is parsing the filter string as:

    (not tcp) and (con)

But "con" is a complex keyword that only applies
to TCP traffic (same applies to the "est" keyword),
so, ..,  you get the error because it will always return
NULL (i think its cool that the compiler catches this
but the credit goes to the original tcpdump() group).

This works however:

    not \(tcp and con\)

We could make the "con" keyword a bit more generic,
looking for any flow that has bi-directional traffic, but
the concept for "con" really applies to connection-oriented
protocols, so seems like this is the right behavior.

What do you think?

Carter