argus in chroot, privilege seperation/revocation

carter at qosient.com carter at qosient.com
Mon Sep 18 08:06:05 EDT 2006

Darren,
Running with priviledges is not required, depending on what you're trying to do, but the biggest hurdle is providing argus with access to packets to monitor.
If you do not want to run as root, you will have to modify the permissions on the network interface so that argus can open it for reading.

Argus already does chroot itself, but  if  I took that code out, it's trivial to put it back!!!!

Where do you want to chroot to?

QoSient LLC
150 E. 57th Street Suite 12D
New York, New York 10022