Argus-info Digest, Vol 15, Issue 19

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Nov 20 10:28:37 EST 2006

Hey CS Lee,
I made a call for some netflow files so that I can do some testing,
but the only
examples I got were flow-tools files.  What I need is native netflow
files, or a
stream of netflow records just as they would come off the wire.

Does anyone have any examples of this stuff?

And CS, what version do you want to see?  I'll try to have all
versions integrated
back into the tool set before we release, but as long as argus-2.x
reads them
all, and argus-3.0 can translate the records, its not the highest
priority right now.

Ramatrix is eye candy at least for anyone but me.  The patterns it
generates
do have real information in them, though, as the speed and length of
the falling
trails is directly proportional to the bps of the flows they
represent, and as the
flow persists, the length and speed will shorten, until they are just
single chars,
flipping.  The way that regions "refresh" is slightly informative, so
I can look at
the display and see anomalous behavior, but I'm a pretty imaginative
guy :o)

On my mac os x box, using an xterm-color terminal, I'm not getting
the A_DIM
characters, and the character set is really limited, so not much to
work with
in terms of getting the display to look like some of the actual
screens in the
movie, but they are kinda close, if you back up a bit from the
screen :o)

I think its there as an example of how easy it is to do this type of
display.  If we
want to put some meaning and utility, then having a discussion and
dialog on
what to do in the display would be very interesting.   If, of course,
you liked the
movie.

Carter