rasort -N

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Nov 3 09:47:50 EST 2006

Hey CS Lee,
My apologies, yes, I found a stupid bug in rasort, trying to be
clever and
reusing the Nflag.  I have added the -N option to the ra.1 man page.
Hopefully I will get a new round of code up today.

So, this brings up a good question again.  The -N flag is very
useful, but
somewhat primitive (sometimes that is a good thing).  Should we consider
extensions, like having an input -N and an output -N ?   Should the -N
option accept a range, to facilitate web based paging viewers?

I think so, but , ....  The biggest hurdle is having a useful syntax
for the
command line option.  So is this useful?

    ra -N 10         (first input 10, implied range starting at 1)
    ra -N 10-20   (range, input records 10-20)
    ra -N o10       (output the first 10 records)
    ra -N -10        (output the last 10 records ?)

What do you think?  I am not sold on this idea, except that we
probably do
need to support a range expression.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Carter