No pidfile support in Argus 3.0?

Andrew Pollock andrew-argus at andrew.net.au
Mon Jul 24 04:32:43 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 10:49:14AM -0400, Carter Bullard wrote:
> Hey Andrew,
> There is pid file support in argus, at least there is suppose to be,
> and it is on by default.   On one of my mac's, argus created this
> lock file:
>
>    /var/run/argus.en0.0.pid

I ran the daemon under strace and saw no mention of a pidfile. Also, if it's
going to use arbitrary interface names in the file, this makes it slightly
less predicatable for the purposes of an init script. The 2.0.6 init script
we were using in Debian explicitly named the PID file with the -n option
that no longer exists.

> So, in the clients I added a pid target directory option to the .rarc
> file, will we need that here?

I don't understand this statement.

> I moved the 'started' statement so that it has the daemon's pid
> if you use the '-d' or DAEMON option in the .conf file.
>
> Any other issues?

Well at the moment, I don't have a good foundation for a reliable init
script, unless I'm missing something obvious.

regards

Andrew