Capture User Data Bytes

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Dec 4 11:08:29 EST 2006

Hey Guys,
The user data that is captured starts after the last header parsed.
The flow
key is generally what determines where the parsing stops, but because
argus supports about 14 flow models (see the web site for description
of all flow models), the "rule" is not simple (although not that
complicated
either).   The rule of thumb is, whatever the next header is after
the "proto" field of the flow key, that's where we start capturing.
Because
argus supports L2, L3, L4 and L5 flows, the user data can start at
any of the next layers, depending on the flow type.

The argus configuration specifies how much data to capture, and it can
go up to just under 64K in size (unsigned short), although
practically it
should be something that is useful.  128 bytes seems to be a great
number.
The largest argus record possible is 64K, so the combined user data
capture can't be bigger than this.

Default printing size of the user data is 16 bytes, but you can print
as much
as is there:   "-s suser:1500"  is a good option.

Ragrep, is simply grep.1 applied to the user data buffers.

Carter