strange packet patterns confusing argus

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Mar 15 09:18:40 EST 2005

Hey Guys,
   The TCP states are really direction-less, and
actually we use the SYN/SYNACK designation to determine
who the source and destination really are, so the
SYN is always coming from the source, and the SYNACK
is always coming from the destination, as long as its
a real TCP connection.  We do keep up with which
direction the RESET is coming from, and so we do support
"src reset", or "dst reset" in the compiler.

   So, the example you gave should be satisfied with this
filter:

   ra -r file - tcp and syn and not synack and src reset

If this doesn't work, send mail!!!!

Carter