ISL patch, VLAN tag hash question

slif at bellsouth.net slif at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 2 20:01:43 EST 2005

We've run into a problem here with the decoding of ISL encapsulated
802.3 packets.  Attached please find a patch that improves the decoding.

Reference:  http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/741_4.pdf
Improved :
  Handles both type of DA -- "01−00−0C−00−00" or "03−00−0C−00−00."

These ISL fields are not considered:
  USER SA AAAA03(SNAP) HSA VLAN BPDU INDEX RES

Suggestion for further improvement:
  1. Verify SNAP is AA-AA-03
  2. If BPDU is set, consider encapsulated packet may be a bridge PDU or CDP packet.
  3. Support other types besides Ethernet
          (e.g., TokenRing, FDDI, and ATM)

Impact:
  192.168.1.3 in any VLAN is treated the same as
  192.168.1.3 in other VLANs

Question:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Carter Bullard wrote:
> [SNIP]
>    Argus handles a lot of encapsulations, and so it should deal with
> VLAN tags well.  It preserves 802.1Q vlan tags in its output, so when
> you read the Argus output with ra(), if the "ind" field has a 'q' in
> it, that's where an 802.1Q tag was seen on the flow.

Does the 802.1q processing use the VLAN identifier when hashing
the addresses ?  If not, the impact of decoding 802.1q may be
suspect ?

All the Best,
-Mike Slifcak