Just a head up....

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jun 10 23:00:23 EDT 2005

I've got a couple of students doing a final year project for their B
Engineering (one in software engineering and one Computer and
Electrical).  What they have ended up trying to do is write a gui front
end in python to the various ra* clients.  The system will also
understand the standard archive structures etc so one can run clients
over data from arbitrary time periods etc.  I'm not the supervisor, I'm
just the one with a nice big archive of argus data to play with.

This is a full year project and they are supposed to have a prototype
running some time soon.  I was wondering if any of you would like to
test it and provide feedback for the students. It is part of the project
requirements that they produce the prototype and then polish it after
feedback -- this is engineering not science ;)

With something like this we can't have too many people involved or the
students will get snowed under but I would like to get it out to two or
three people.

The aim of the initial project was to produce a tool (perhaps meta tool
is a better description)  that made it easier for our network folk to
use my existing monitoring infrastructure to help in general network
diagnostics.  The target audience are not necessarily command line
challenged ;)  (they all work on Cisco gear ) but they have never got to
grips with argus mainly because they don't use it often enough to get
familiar with it and when they need it they need something now!  so they
reach for ethereal or a hardware analyser.

The hope is that we will get a useful tool that we can contribute to the
community.

Russell