[ARGUS] A concrete packet loss example :-)

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Fri Oct 29 18:58:04 EDT 2004

	Success looks to have plagued our efforts. On a SUSE 2.6.5-7.108 kernel
with the ring buffer bpf code from www.ntop.org running on the dual athelon
box described earlier with SysKonnect cards (which by the way need:

/etc/modprobe.conf

options sk98lin Speed_A=1000,1000 AutoNeg_A=Off,Off DupCap_A=Full,Full

to like an optical tap) we managed to get argus to report 13,850,389,170 bytes
for a ~13 gigabyte at ~900 meg per second transfer across the Westgrid network
with no reported loss on either the interfaces or the ring buffer bpf report.
Highly recommended!. We are running around 64Megabytes in the kernel ring
buffer and a 30 second reporting interval on argus (the default lost some data).
	Hopefully no one wants to know how, because the fellow who did the
kernel for me leaves on vacation for a month tonite so you'll have to wait :-).