[ARGUS] Re: correct?

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Oct 25 10:53:42 EDT 2004

Hey Martin,
Sending stuff to the list is important to get others thinking about
the issues.   The retransmission logic has not gotten much list
attention for many years, as most sites use the indication of retrans,
but not the specifics, such as number of retransmissions. BUT, argus
is trying to do something correct here, and I appreciate your pointing
out the design vs reality mismatch.

What I think I will do is investigate it a bit further.  Ip_id is a
strange beast. Argus uses it for fragment reassemply and ICMP response
matching, but other than that, its not a very reliable tag in a packet
Especially since some linux's starting zeroing out the ip_id field when
the Don't Fragment bit is set.  Putting ip_id specific logic in argus
may not be a good investment.

However, you do make a good point, that if there is a discriminator for
a given condition, we want argus to somehow preserve that semantic and
get it into the record.  The best argus can do is keep the last ip_id
and flip a bit if it sees the same ip_id back to back.  Would that help
your analysis?

Carter