[ARGUS] A concrete packet loss example :-)

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Mon Oct 18 12:05:13 EDT 2004

	While I intended this more as an example of the "here's where you can
lose packets at high speed" it has also produced some useful pointers off list
 :-). This paper from SANE was pointed out (and is available in PDF on the
author's home page (which has some more interesting looking stuff too):

http://www.nluug.nl/events/sane2004/abstracts/ab.html?id=100

	and someone else contributed this experience (although our HPC folks
have been having troubles with their SK drivers on Linux, thats part of why
my box is there because one card was reported broken when they were borrowing
it, but it looks to be working fine under FreeBSD) so perhaps there is Linux
in my future after all :-).

"BTW, the box running argus/snort is now Linux 2.6 kernel with Phil Wood's
ring buffered libpcap and it has improved performance greatly - about half
the kernel cpu load as same config without the ring buffer (50MB of kernel
memory!) and no apparent packet loss."

	Our HPC folks are happy to have anything at all looking at their
network and thus aren't pressuring and can easily fill the pipe with jumbo
frames (all the packets when the failure occurred were indeed 9K jumbo frames
and I do suspect the SK driver as the cuplprit :-)) so I can work on this as
there is time, for fun (for some value of fun :-)). Production isn't (at least
yet) seeing this problem so it isn't so far an issue.