[ARGUS] A concrete packet loss example :-)

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Oct 18 09:15:50 EDT 2004

Hey Peter,
If you are monitoring jumbo frames, I'd focus on the SK card and
how the snaplen is being implemented.  If you can change the snaplen
to some low level (48-64 bytes) in argus and not see a better measure,
then there may not be anything you can do  as you could be hitting
PCI bus limitations moving jumbo frames to memory.  What do you think
is the biggest packet you're seeing?

The Endace cards really do a good job with bigger packets, as the
snaplen is enforced in the card itself, at least with the OC-48
and OC-192 cards that I have used.

Carter