[ARGUS] Best Hardware

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Oct 14 00:38:07 EDT 2004

	You are right that is a test I should do. However I won't be suprised
if the results are counter intuitive :-). The slow part of the operation is
likely the fetch from disk, given that, compressed may be better (less data
comes off disk and gets expanded by even cheaper CPU time in fast memory in
to something larger which may turn out to be faster over all). I expect the
real win would be moving to a 3ware raid controller with multiple striped
disks to get much higher disk bandwith and a faster CPU with more memory.
	I've been playing around with post processing changing memory usage by
spooling to disk, and instrumenting to see what is being costly and a lot of
it is processing the information long after it has come out of ra to pick out
the interesting (to me anyway) patterns. At the moment (at least during times
of non extreme port scans) my setup is running acceptably as is and the money
that could have gone to new hardware is instead buying some 4 port regen taps
from netoptics for even better playing around on my production links, one port
for argus, three more for sniffers and other such toys, maybe snort :-). I
think although I'm not there yet, a split of port scanning from traffic
accumulation should fix that problem for now (which is primarily one of memory).
A port scan (or scans) Monday took hourly post processing from 5 minutes to
around 7 hours as the machine swapped with a non serious ripple effect which
pointed out some poorly thought out engineering that needs fixing.
	If I get some time I'll see what difference running an uncompressed
file makes. And once the transient from buying the netoptics dies away perhaps
I'll go for a 3ware and a bunch of SATA disks as the next step. 3ware is smart
enough to be advertising FreeBSD support for their cards which immediately got
my vote, although I was shopping by driver support from the FreeBSD kernel
lint file anyway :-).