FW: [ARGUS] ra* performance

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon May 10 15:10:43 EDT 2004

Hey Four,
If it doesn't appear to be eating any cycles and
ramon is just sitting there, it could be that you need
to run with the '-n' option, as you could be hammering
your DNS server trying to resolve bogus addresses
into names.  Be sure and put a .rarc file in your
home directory to set the various variables for
the ra* programs.  A sample is in ./support/Config.

Don't wait for an entire day to process, you can do
incremental processing with minor impact on performance.
Here's an example.  If you're in /tmp and the daily data
is in /dir/data, try this type of call (assuming you
are using bash()):

 % cd /tmp
 % for i in /tmp/data/*; do
 > echo $i;
 > ramon -M topn -r ramon.out $i -w tmp.out;
 > mv tmp.out ramon.out;
 > done

so, for each file in /tmp/data,  run ramon() on each file,
reading ramon.out first, dump the output into tmp, and
then move tmp to ramon.out.  At anytime you can
ra -r /tmp/ramon.out and see what its doing.

Carter