[ARGUS] QoS Analysis with Argus

James Lever j.lever at uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 7 08:34:18 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I'm trying to perform some quality of service analysis with Argus to
determine true cause of network slow-downs.

I've so far determined times/dates of high traffic
(bytes+daddr/saddr/dport) and have also used the packets metric to
cross-check.

The link I am concerned with is a single/dual channel ISDN (2x 64kBps B
channels) running single channel most of the time and bursting up to
dual channels in times of high demand.

Can somebody give me an idea of what loss could be expected on such a
link before a noticeable degredation of service was noticed?

Also, what is jitter?  My best guess is time between an outgoing packet
and an incoming packet.  What should be expected?  How many orders of
magnitude difference would be required to have a perceived massive
degredation of service?

Some graphs of interest are currently available at
http://jamver.id.au/argus/ if anybody is willing to have a look and
give me some ideas on directions to look.

How would you try to analyse QoS using Argus?  Would you use other
tools too?

cheers,
James