another newbie question {Scanned by HJMS}

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herff-jones.com
Tue Jan 27 17:20:51 EST 2004

So it *is* the same as tcpdump?  Odd then that tcpdump has no issue with "!"
(and it's in the tcpdump manual page).  From that page:

Primitives may be combined using:
   A parenthesized group of primitives and operators (parentheses are
special to the Shell and must be escaped).
   Negation (`!' or `not').
   Concatenation (`&&' or `and').
   Alternation (`||' or `or').

But I'll give "not" a try nonetheless - thanks.

> Also, 255.255.0.192 isn't a valid netmask. Do you mean
> 255.255.255.192 ?

I'm surprised at that statement.  By my understanding of netmasks (which
applies quite well to cisco routers), there is no requirement that the 1's
in a mask be contiguous across octet boundaries.  In a mask, the 1's denote
those bits of the address octets which are not allowed to vary.

So for example, the following "pattern" (address+mask):
1.2.3.4 mask 255.255.0.255

...should match each of the following example addresses:
1.2.1.4
1.2.2.4
1.2.3.4
1.2.4.4

...because the third octet is all zeros, meaning all eight bits are allowed
to vary.

And by that logic, all of the three expressions I listed in the original
message define the exact same set of addresses.