ramon problem with argus-2.0.6.rc2

Mike Iglesias iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
Wed Feb 25 18:00:29 EST 2004

> Hey Dietmar,
>    I completely agree that having a single version
> of whatever is really important.  The Debian effort,
> I believe, does break it out as argus-server and
> argus-clients, and I like the idea that the client
> packages are independent.   But I'm a little concerned
> that if we do a strict split, then the argus-server
> package would not be usable out of the box.  This is
> not a show stopper, per se.
>
>    Let me think about whether I can split it out
> by the end of the week.  If anyone has any strong
> opinions, either for or against a complete server/
> client split, it would be great to get all the issues
> on the table.

I think you'll find that, in the long run, including some subset
of the clients with the server will lead to some confusion for
those not familiar with argus.  If you're committed to having
the clients separate, then separate them completely, and make
note on the web page and documentation that you'll also want the
argus-clients stuff too.

It would be nice to have the clients separate - that way if I want to
do some analysis from a system other than the system running argus,
I can just build/install the clients and move a data file over to
muck around with.