Linksys router...

by way of blj@thermoanalytics.com blj at thermoanalytics.com
Mon Dec 20 11:38:16 EST 2004

After many hours of bashing my favorite head into a wall, I've decided to pick the brains of all the smart people in the world, starting with you folks.

I'm trying to monitor our incoming and outgoing traffic through our linksys BEFVP41 Cable/DSL router.  Currently I have a linux box plugged into the switch that both the cable modem and the router are plugged into, and this is the box I'm running argus on.  I've tried running argus a number of ways, including:

argus -i eth1 -S 10 -w /tmp/argus.out
argus -e 192.168.1.1 -i eth1 -S 10 -w /tmp/argus.out
argus -i eth1 -S 10 -w /tmp/argus.out - ether host X:X:X:X:X:X and Y:Y:Y:Y:Y:Y

Where the X and Y's are I actually do have the MAC addresses of the cable modem and the router.  I have tried many other things, but like an idiot forgot to document them.  Needless to say, I'm not seeing all my test traffic when I look at the records with ra and racount.  ANY help and nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everybody!

--
Brian Johnson
Systems Administrator