[ARGUS] Hurray! FC3/linux-2.6.9 solves BSD argus/Fedora Linux ra compatability

Joe Christy joe at eshu.net
Sun Dec 5 17:15:56 EST 2004

Today I built argus-clients-2.0.6-fixes.1 with Mike Slifcak's patches on
two Fedora Core 3 boxen, one running a more-or-less vanilla 2.6.9 kernel
and the other running the latest Fedora 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 kernel and then
built argus-2.0.6-fixes.1 on an OpenBSD-3.6 box and on a
FreeBSD-4.10_STABLE box (which also requires Mike's patches, due to
post-bpf packet filtering in the kernel).

Lo and behold, the interoperability issues between a BSD sensor and a
Fedora monitor are no longer present. Hallelujah!

It appears that RFC3390 is a red herring (though it does make
interesting morning reading).

So, it appears that either linux-2.6.9 or Fedora Core 3 solve the
problems Michael Sanderson and I have seen.

	Joe