[ARGUS] BSD argus/Linux ra problems?

Joe Christy joe at eshu.net
Sat Dec 4 20:56:57 EST 2004

   Vis-a-vis Carter's response to Michael's note of Tue, 23 Nov 2004
02:41:48 AM:
> Hey Michael,
>    Well that will cause a problem if a ra* client gets less than 128
> bytes, as we do a single read for 128 bytes and if we don't get it we
> exit.  There were a lot of reasons for this, but most were/are
> historical. I can modify it to get into a loop to read until we
> get 128 bytes, but it will not be pretty.
>
>     I'm gonna be somewhat depressed by this, as it will introduce
> some delay in getting started when we've got multiple endpoints
> to manage.  Any way we can get BSD to change its IP stack? ;o)

	While configuring an OpenBSD-3.6 gateway this evening, I discovered
this provocative line in /etc/sysctl.conf:
#net.inet.tcp.rfc3390=1   # 1=Enable RFC3390 for TCP window increasing
and then looked up RFC 3390, cf. http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3390.html,
which addresses this very issue.

	In a nutshell, it looks like one can get OpenBSD to change its IP
stack! I'll build ra on a fresh FC3 box and give it a try, then post to
the list if it helps the (Open)BSD/(FC3)Linux interoperability issues.

	Joe