[ARGUS] argus-2.0.6.fixes.1/FreeBSD-4.10 <=> argus-clients-2.0.6.fixes.1/FC2

Mike Iglesias iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
Fri Aug 13 00:49:15 EDT 2004

> 	Is the Linix machine an AMD opteron running in 64 bit mode by chance?
> In that case this is a feature not a bug :-) argus is known to not be 64 bit
> clean at present that is to be addresses in 2.0.7. I got an account on a
> Fedora core 2 here, but it is an Opteron and it indeed doesn't run at all
> trying to read from FreeBSD and I suspect thats why.
> 	If that is the case you might try compiling on a 32 bit Fedora core 2
> machine and move the binaries. It is believed that they will run in
> "compatability mode" by the owner of the machine.

You can compile using "-m32" and then you won't have to find a 32 bit FC2
system and move the binaries.  I have not tried what you are trying, but
it will read argus output files written on a 32 bit Intel system running
Linux.

I've found other software that's not 64 bit clean, and have started installing
the 32 bit FC or RH Enterprise on the Opteron systems.  It saves a lot of
fiddling around trying to determine why something doesn't work right.
I remember going thru all this when the Digital Alpha systems came out,
and having to fix a lot of software that was not 64 bit clean (mostly
software that assumed an int and a pointer were the same size).

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2069