Using tcpdump input

Andrew Pollock andrew-argus at andrew.net.au
Mon Mar 31 23:27:05 EST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 01:58:30PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:26:05PM -0500, Carter Bullard wrote:
> > More than likely, argus is opening whatever
> > interface twice.  This is not impossible,
> > so the solution will be in understanding how argus
> > is being called and the contents of your argus.conf
> > file.  One quick approach is to run argus with
> > the -X option as the first option on the command
> > line.  If this resolves the problem the it will
> > be straight forward.
>
> Now we're making some progress. I get identical results.
> Soooo.... How come Argus under normal operations is opening the interface
> twice?
>
> I've got eth1 in the /etc/argus.conf, and argus is invoked with a -F
> /etc/argus.conf and not with a -i

Furthermore, the blurb in /etc/argus.conf says:

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# By default, Argus will open the first appropriate interface on a
# system that it encounters.  For systems that have only one network
# interface, this is a reasonable thing to do.  But, when there are
# more than one interface suitable interface, you may want to specify
# which interface(s) Argus should read data from.
#
# Argus can read packets from multiple interfaces at the same time,
# although this is limited to 2 interfaces at this time.

ARGUS_INTERFACE=eth1

So does this render the ARGUS_INTERFACE configuration option obsolete in
most circumstances? Is Argus internally deciding eth1 looks good to open,
and then I'm explicitly telling it to open eth1, hence my conundrum?

Andrew