Basic Question for argus experts...

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Mar 27 11:44:20 EST 2003

Hey Réal,
   Try ramon() using the "-M topn" option.  If you want to
change the sorting algorithm, use the "-s field" option.

If you want a particular subnet, because ramon() actually
modifies the input records to do some interesting stuff,
you should use ra to filter the records.

So top 10 talkers by bytes:

   ramon -M topn -s bytes -r file -N 10

Top ten subnets(class) by pkts:

   ramon -M topn nets -s pkts -r file -N 10

Top ten subnets(cidr 16 bit) by src bytes:

   ramon -M topn nets/16 -s sbytes -r file -N 10

Top ten net (cidr 24) matrix by dst pkts:

   ramon -M matrix nets/24 -s dpkts -r file -N 10

Top ten hosts talking to a specific subnet:

   ra -w - -r file - net 1.2.3 | ramon -M topn -N 10

Top ten DNS hosts:

   ra -w - -r file - port domain | ramon -M topn -N 10

There are literally 1000's of combinations.
I found a bug in ramon() which the new argus-clients
remedies, so be sure and get the latest and greatest.

ftp://qosient.com/dev/argus-2.0

This should get you going, if you need more, just send mail.

Carter