Log "tear-off" mechanism

John Hermes jhermes at infoglobe.com
Tue Jun 17 08:40:21 EDT 2003

Howdy,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me understand how
Argus deals with having the open logfile pulled out from under
the daemon (using the argusarchive script for example). If you
could decribe it in terms of file descriptors and pointers,
that would be most helpful. For instance, does Argus get
an I/O error and create a new file in response? Why does the
OS (Linux, FreeBSD, etc.) allow me to move an open file? Why
can't I remember this stuff from college? :-)

I have a watchdog daemon that I configured to stat the
logfile on a continuous basis, and now I need to write a
compatible monitor that won't mind that the file is missing
for the few seconds before Argus creates a new logfile. Any
info related to moving open files would be a great help!

Thanks!

--
John Hermes
Systems Engineer