Recommendations for monthly totals?

Mahlon E. Smith mahlon at martini.nu
Mon Jun 9 01:11:43 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 06:04, Mahlon E. Smith wrote:
> The only other way I can think to do this is to write a separate daemon
> that opens a pipe to an 'ra -c' client, and keeps it's own totals in dbm files
> or somesuch... but I'd like to avoid that if there is a better way.
>
> How are others doing this?

It was suggested to me by Neil Long to simply take samples daily, tally
them to a separate file, and just poll that file at the end of the
month.

I went ahead and implemented this - based on speed info gleaned from how
long it takes my current IPs in use - a full class C would take about 18
minutes of processing power per night.  The monthly report is
instantaneous.   This is much, much better than the almost 8 hours it
would have taken to generate a monthly report in my original
implementation.  :)

I'd still be interested to hear some other real world examples of how
others are doing this sort of thing - I'm sure this is one of those
instances where there is more than one good way to do it.

-Mahlon

Mahlon E. Smith                        jabber id: mahlon at chat.martini.nu
http://www.martini.nu/               get pgp key:  mahlon-pgp at martini.nu
  See the Stinkymeat; Oh sickening putrid mass; You are what you eat.
- Bob Noble