Recommendations for monthly totals?

Mahlon E. Smith mahlon at martini.nu
Sat Jun 7 02:04:16 EDT 2003

Hi everyone.

I'm new to argus, and new to the list.  I'm trying to get an automated
monthly report generated, that gives traffic accounting totals in
GB on a per IP basis.  Essentially, your run of the mill hosting
setup that needs to know when customers go over their alloted bandwidth.

I'm currently using the 'argusarchive' script to organize saved data files,
and running a cronned perl script once a month that pulls the totals for
the previous month, parses the goods, and sends the totals out.  It works
just fine - with the exception of one thing.  It takes a really, really
long time to run.  This isn't a slow machine that is doing the processing,
but doing 50 IP addresses takes almost 2 hours.  Where as that isn't
completely unacceptable, I can see that isn't going to scale in the long
run.

Here's what the perl script calls for each IP:
% racount -r .../argus/archive/YEAR/MONTH/*/*.bz2 - host IPADDRESS

The only other way I can think to do this is to write a separate daemon
that opens a pipe to an 'ra -c' client, and keeps it's own totals in dbm files
or somesuch... but I'd like to avoid that if there is a better way.

How are others doing this?

Thanks for any tips provided!

-Mahlon

Mahlon E. Smith                        jabber id: mahlon at chat.martini.nu
http://www.martini.nu/               get pgp key:  mahlon-pgp at martini.nu
 In the lush green grass; The young lovers rolled over; SQUISH.  Found
                       stinkymeat. - Tom Elliott