Confirming Argus accuracy

Andrew Pollock andrew-argus at andrew.net.au
Mon Oct 14 00:55:00 EDT 2002

Hi,

I've got a problem where on a segment that Argus is monitoring, it seems
to be producing stupid results.

I'm not pointing the finger at Argus, I'm suspecting the Ethernet setup at
this stage, however, I need to get to the bottom of it.

Is there a way that I can use tcpdump files to simulate traffic?

What I'd like to try and do is capture some traffic from a few other areas
on the network with tcpdump (I don't want to and can't install Argus
everywhere) and then try and work out if and where I'm losing visibility
of the traffic.

Hope this makes sense.

Andrew