Argus on multiple interfaces with NAT

Christian Martin c.martin at jesus.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 08:20:07 EST 2002

Once again, let's see if the Argus People can come to my rescue!

One of my argus hosts is a NATing firewall - it has a number of internal
interfaces (hosts being allocated non-routeable IPs from private address
ranges) and an external interface.  The source IP of outgoing packets is
translated to a routeable IP, and the packet goes out on the external
interface.  The routeable IP is non-unique: many hosts share only a few
routeable IPs.  Incoming packets are 'untranslated' and routed back to their
originating host (on a non-routeable IP) on the appropriate internal
interface.  So far so good.

argus is currently configured to watch the external interface.  By the time
they reach argus, outgoing packets have been translated (and have a 'shared'
routeable source IP), and incoming packets have been 'untranslated' (and
have a unique non-routable destination IP).  NAT is configured such that
there is no easy way to identify the originating host from the translated
(routeable) IP.  Accordingly, I can identify the host associated with a
particular download (incoming packet, therefore unique non-routeable IP),
but uploads (outgoing packet, translated to a shared routeable IP) cannot be
identified with the originating host.

To gather useful information about outgoing packets / uploads from the
network, I have until recently run two argi, one monitoring the external
interface, and one monitoring the internal interfaces (well, two of them).
In effect, each packet is monitored twice - once on the external interface
(only useful for incoming packets and traffic totals), and once on the
internal interface (loads of internal traffic I don't want to monitor).
Argus data is pumped down a completely separate interface to a logging
server, data for the external interface over one port and data for the
internal interfaces over another - two argi with an ra each on the logging
server to pick up the data.  My question - and sorry for the wait - regards
a better way of doing this, and preferably one which would allow full
analysis of uploads as well as downloads.

As far as I can gather, there are a few options:

1. Two argi, two data collectors, no easy way to correlate the internal
   IPs of outgoing packets with the translated IPs in the data from the
   external interface (my current setup).  Suggestions very welcome.

2. Two argi, one data collector which can differentiate between them
   (by source identifier? interface?) and sift out duplicated records
   and internal traffic.

3. One argus monitoring external and internal interfaces - but how do
   I cut out the internal traffic (I'm only interested in stuff which
   crosses the border on the external interface), and get rid of any
   duplicated flow data?  Does the argus datastream include a reference
   to the interface from which the data was collected, allowing the
   degree of analysis currently available by specifying the external
   interface as part of a filter expression or similar?  The external
   (routeable) IPs and internal IPs all fall within IP ranges which
   could be specified in a filter expression.

4. One argus monitoring the external interface, with some network magic
   to grab the pre-translation source IP for outgoing packets.  Ideal
   solution, but that kind of magic isn't easy to come by...

5. Any other ideas???

Should there be any problem running multiple instances of argus and multiple
instances of ra on a machine?  Of course, I'd rather do it with just one of
each, but that might not be an option.

I'm using argus-2.0.3 (2.0.4 dies after a few days, per my previous
posting), with ra 2.0.1 as a persistent daemon on a logging server to store
the data.  The firewall has a linux 2.4 kernel and all the NAT magic is done
by iptables.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Christian

--
Christian Martin
IT Department