argus command-line parameter handling

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jun 15 00:49:21 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-15 at 07:46, Winfred Harrelson wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Chris Russel wrote:

> I agree.
>
> > My vote is to not load the default config unless no -F is specified. This
> > is the behaviour the debian init script is expecting. BTW I have filed a
> > bug with them since it is clearly wrong - allowing users to shoot
> > themselves is one thing, having the gun pointed at them by default is
> > another.
>
> My vote is to leave it the way it is and make sure the documentation
> mentions the way it works.

Me too, the only real area where this is likely to cause problems is
with interface specification because you can have multiple interfaces. I
wonder if we should tell argus explicitly which interface we are taling
about, i.e. have 4 options one for each possible interface
-i and -i1 (equivalent), -i2, -i3, -i3 and the corresponding config file
options.  That should get over most of the 'surprises'.