new toys ...

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Tue Jun 11 17:02:25 EDT 2002

	Looks like there should be some interesting testing coming up. I have
aquired a pair of dual Athelon machines (although FreeBSD only wants to use
one CPU at the moment) and 4 Sysconnect Gig cards. The netpipe benchmark gets
around 700 Mbps from them and I just tried a 25 meg tcpdump file on tcpreplay
and it believes it managed to get ~668 Mbps on to the fibre. Now to set up
a test situation where argus can be made to listen to that traffic as it goes
by ... Somewhat suprisingly, FreeBSD appears to be more efficient than Linux
(%30 CPU at speed against %50 for Linux, but Linux will use both CPUs which
FreeBSD currently won't) but linux response is more linear with changing block
sizes.