Graphing methodology

Roy Hooper rhooper at toybox.ca
Mon Apr 1 18:51:21 EST 2002

I am using RRDtool to graph per-IP flow data, and wanted to verify my
methodology is sound  -- that is, the graph is representational of reality.

- I am gathering all data from the network at the egres point using argus and
archiving the files captured hourly.
- I am running ragator -c -n -G -f ipstats.conf <filter> to aggregate the flows
for 300-second intervals
- I am using the end time, IPs and in/out bytes and merging multiple instances
for the desired IP into buckets for every ceil(time/300)*300.
- I am plotting that using an absolute dataset in RRDtool.

The resulting plots appear to be fairly accurate.

---
Roy Hooper