problem with datafile size (argus 2.0.3)

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Nov 27 12:39:04 EST 2001

Hey Oleg,
   Hmmm, you have a number of problems that are somewhat
new, and we should try to solve them all, but first things
first.

   First of all, what version of ra() are you running?
Type "ra -h" and the version will be in the first line.
The latest released version is 2.0.3, and we are testing
2.0.4.beta.5 and 2.0.3.alpha.17 in the argus-clients
distribution.

   The only datafile size problem that we have encountered
to date has been related to files larger than 2^31 bytes.
We have a number of sites reading multi-gigabyte data files,
so I suspect that you have a corrupted data file.

   Is ra() seg faulting reading a file, or writing a file?
Have you run gdb() against the corefile?  That would help
a great deal!

   Assuming that you're reading, do all ra* programs
die on the same record?  This may be the result of a corrupted
argus data file.  There were some output file corruption
problems in argus-2.0.2, when there were multiple writers
to the same data file, and when the output file was removed
when there were queued records scheduled to be written to
the file.  These have all been fixed in argus-2.0.4.

   If it is a corrupted argus record, there is not much
you can do getting past the current file, although recovery
is possible, just a bit complicated.

Possibly, you could down load this version:

ftp://qosient.com/argus/dev/argus-2.0/argus-2.0.4.beta.5.tar.gz

to see if you can compile it without errors, and to see if
argus or any of the ra* programs can create readable datafiles
larger than 35 MB?

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022