how to collect *statistics* about retransmitions?

Fabien COELHO coelho at cri.ensmp.fr
Fri May 11 05:03:21 EDT 2001

Hello,

A little question to argus gurus for which I could not get a precise
answer from the documentation (man pages, FAQ, How-to, list archive). I'm
not yet resolved to look for the answer in the source code;-)

I wish to use the argus software to collect statistics about retransmitted
packets during tcp connexions. There is the "retrans" keywords which looks
good for this purpose, although not really documented... Hence, I'm not
sure of what is actually reported.

Once an argus data file is obtained, if I run a

shell> racount -r argus-data-file tcp 80 and retrans

I get a count... but it looks to me as the TCP/IP connexions which
had retransmitted packets during the connexion rather than the amount
of actually retransmitted packet... Am I wrong ?

If I'm not wrong, how can I get the count of retransmitted packet
as opposed to the actual count of 'useful' data transmitted?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fabien COELHO __ http://www.cri.ensmp.fr/~coelho __ coelho at cri.ensmp.fr
 CRI-ENSMP, 35, rue Saint-Honoré, F-77305 Fontainebleau cedex, France
  phone: (+33|0) 1 64 69 {voice: 48 52, fax: 47 09, standard: 47 08}
      ________  All opinions expressed here are mine  _________