running argus on linux with 'unnumbered' interface

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon May 7 08:31:34 EDT 2001

Hey Russell,
   I've run argus on unnumbered interfaces before and
have never had a problem, until recently with newer
Linux kernels, like 2.4.4.  The error messages that your
are getting from ArgusInitSource() are all errors from
either pcap_open_live(), pcap_compile() or pcap_setfilter().
I suspect that your "ArgusInitSource: SIOCGIFADDR:
eth1: Cannot assign requested address", is a
pcap_open_live() error.

   I'm not sure why, but Linux seems to be unhappy.
One way around it is to assign unroutable addresses as
your interface address, such as 0.0.0.1 to eth1, and
0.0.0.2 to eth2.  This strategy still provides some
protection, however not as good as no address.

   The best solution is to try to find out what happened
to cause Linux to start doing this.  I'll send some
mail to the tcpdump-workers mailing list to see if they
have any ideas.

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022