Argus/ra next steps. GUI applications and Windowing systems

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Mar 2 09:40:31 EST 2001

Hey Chris,
   I can appreciate what you want to do with all the locals
on one side and the rest of the world on the other.  Like I
mentioned below, ra() is not the best place to do this, so,
I'd like to see if I can get you interested in talking about
Argus Phase II.  My next step after getting the web site
and the 2.0 software out is to start on better Argus data
processing and archiving.  Get the data down, and then do
some real analysis.  This is the essence of what my company,
QoSient, is all about.

   Although the company is going to make money off of this
next step, I'm still going to build an Argus GUI through the
Open Software side of QoSient.  This GUI should allow you to
view and operate on Argus data, for, hopefully, lots of
purposes.  I'm also going to do quite a bit of database work
to support Argus data archiving, which will also be in the
Open side of things.

   The goals are to do the standard stuff like generate graphs
but also to do the work that people on the list have been
doing, sophisticated traffic analysis that can do good work.
Many are doing Incidence Response, what I like to call
Assurance Management, but many would like to do Intrusion
Detection.  I want to do Performance Measurement and Assessment.

   The GUI, I believe, would be where your request would go.
I've already started scoping out Windowing systems, like Gnome,
for this project, and so, if the group is interested in going
in this direction, I'd like to get the group's ideas on what
would be a cool way to approach this.

   The tool that used the GUI would be a network forensics
tool, that basically had access to the entire Argus archive, and
allowed you to very quickly select transactions of interest,
and do some complex operations on the transactions you picked
out.  A kind of vRa, xRa, gRa type of thing, which I think
can get to be pretty cool.

   Gnome, Java, Tcl/Tk Perl-Tk, X, MSWindows, or a Browser?
   MySQL or postIngress?

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022