argus to tcpdump conversion

Scott A. McIntyre scott at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 14 11:43:27 EDT 2001

> Scott,
>    Seems like the list is back.  Hmmm, well this is something

Heh, I thought it was a bit quite in this folder -- glad it wasn't just
me.

In this particular case, better use of ragator may allow me to perform
what it is I want to perform.  I have a day's worth of Argus data and
want to know every /24 with every other /24.  Unfortunately, with my
flow file (see below), I only end up with about 600 records, which
definitely not the case.

#label   id    SrcCIDRAddr     DstCIDRAddr  Proto  SrcPort  DstPort ModelList  Duration
Flow     100       *                *         *        *        *     200      86400

#label   id    SrcAddrMask      DstAddrMask         Proto  SrcPort  DstPort
Model    200   255.255.255.0       255.255.255.0   yes     no      no

I had assumed that a duration of 86400 (a day's worth of seconds) would
summarise all of the traffic for the entire day by the netmask specified
in the Model.

The data I need is to know how much data was sent from one network to
any other network during an entire day -- and I have 24 seperate flow
files involved (hourly rotation).

Since we already have tools for doing this type of analysis with tcpdump
formatted files, my original thought was just to revert to those.

The other issue that has come up is how long the counters are, and how
often they wrap.  Initial investigation appeared to suggest that we were
looking at 32 bit counters and were indeed wrapping, but I didn't
investigate too far.

Certainly open to other ideas.

Thanks,

Scott