A question about the ArgusClientTimeout() function

Chris Carton u43o1 at unb.ca
Thu Jun 14 11:16:45 EDT 2001

I working on developing a custom argus client and I have a quick question
(actually two) about this function, ArgusClientTimeout().

The quick blurb of a comment that is found with it in the ra_template code,
indicates "that it gets called every second when the client is connected to a
remote argus server with the -S flag".

My first question is, is this function called from a signal handler?
Specifically, I'd like to know if any of the other client functions (such as
Ra_ProcessRecord) could be interrupted by a signal that results in this
ArgusClientTimeout function being called before the interruped function is
resumed. And if so, which signals are used, because I like to be able to block
them at certian points.

The second question is about the fact that I've noticed that this function
seems to be called every second regardless of whether I run the client with
the -S flag or not. I think that's a good thing, however I wanted to ask if I
can rely on that functionality, or not. Though, if not, I think it's a change
that we should consider making. It would allow for more versitle clients.

While I'm on a roll, I've thought of another question. I'm having trouble
figuring out how to use the appOptstring variable and in trying to get some
client specifec options passed to the parse_arg() funcion. If someone could
explain to me how that works I'd really appreciate it.

Chris Carton
www.q1labs.com