argus-clients alpha testing and ratop()

Chris Newton newton at unb.ca
Wed Jun 6 11:47:08 EDT 2001

I just played with this no more than 20 minutes ago.  "I like it!", tis my
comment.

  One question though... how many clients can you have attached to a single
argus server?

Chris

>===== Original Message From "Carter Bullard" <carter at qosient.com> =====
>Gentle people,
>   The ./configure files and make strategies for the
>argus-clients project are working fine for Linux, but some
>adjustments were needed for Solaris, so a new version is on
>the server.
>
>ftp://qosient.com/dev/argus-2.0/argus-clients-2.0.1.alpha.2.tar.gz
>
>This type of testing is important at this stage, and so if
>anyone has any problems with ./configure or making in
>general, please send a comment.
>
>Ok, I think I'd like to focus on ratop() for a while.
>ratop changed slightly between alpha.1 and alpha.2.
>
>This program is trying to show you the top flows in
>an argus data stream.  It is primarily designed for
>attaching to an argus server to see what's on top in real-time.
>Its modeled after the Unix process top, so it has a similar
>look and feel, curses based, type 'q' and it quits,
>sorts on the fly, has lots of options, etc.....
>
>A big deal with ratop is that it supports ragator
>like aggregation.  Right now, for demonstration purposes,
>ratop() has 21 or so internal aggregation strategies, that
>you choose using the "D" and "U" keys.
>
>I've got it starting now in a mode so that its
>aggregating everything into a single entry, so that if
>your looking at a very loaded network, you won't get
>blown away at the start.
>
>Finding a strategy that is usable would be nice.  If
>anyone has any comments on this area, please send mail.
>There is no 'h' support, yet, that should be next.
>
>If the output is too wide, press the 'F' key, this
>allows you to choose what fields to display or not to
>display.  They act as toggles, so if you hit 'F' and
>then 'c', the counts fields go away and or come back,
>depending on whether they visible or not.  The options
>are (tDIcL) for time, Duration, Indicators, counts, and
>Load.  I'll have all the columns in a few days.
>
>If you're doing something and ratop is not doing what you want,
>press 'Esc', that may clear things up.
>
>What I'm hoping to do with this process is to get some
>opinions on the UI and the tool concept.  So if you get
>a chance to play with it and give some comments, that
>would be great.  And of course, if you think that "this
>complete sucks and is a waste of time", do send it to the
>list!!!
>
>Thanks for your attention!
>
>Carter
>
>Carter Bullard
>QoSient, LLC
>300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
>New York, New York  10022
>
>carter at qosient.com
>Phone +1 212 588-9133
>Fax   +1 212 588-9134
>http://qosient.com

Chris Newton, Systems Analyst
Computing Services, University of New Brunswick
newton at unb.ca 506-447-3212(voice) 506-453-3590(fax)

"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas."
Linus Pauling (1901 - 1994) US chemist