argus option review

Scott A. McIntyre scott at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 26 06:55:09 EST 2001

Hi,

> Actually, I can't imagine using argus in anything other than
> promiscuous mode.

I'm in agreement here -- so the default of on makes sense.

> : The next is the "-P" option.  This specifies the port that we will
> : listen on for remote access.  You set this to 0 (zero) to turn this
> : feature off.  Should we turn this on or off by default?
>
> Hmm.  I seem to be zero for two. :)  I think the port number should
> be off by default, for security reasons.  (If a port's not on, it
> can't be exploited.)

I definitely feel this should be off, as William does.  It is "one less
thing to worry about" essentially.

> I agree, but this is purely a personal preference.  My logs already
> grow to 50-75M every 15 minutes, and a large increase would force
> me to buy bigger disks.  Not a really good reason to justify
> something. :)

I tend to get about 12 to 15 megs per minute at the moment, growing to
nearly 10 times that amount later in the day.  I need to write better
filters and learn more about how to use the flow features...till then,
I'm keeping use to a minimum.

Keeps the disks warm!

Scott