argus option review

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Jan 25 22:15:09 EST 2001

Hey William,
   50-75M every 15 minutes?  Seems like a good volume.  You'll
want to pay some attention to ragator() to merge some of those
records together.  This is something that I'm interested in
working on now that argus is stable.  Blowing away the source
ports of tcp flows can sometimes provide a HUGE reduction
in argus records, and still maintain all the info you wanted.

    Seems like the vote so far is promiscuous on, port off.
Response data off, jitter data off, user data off.

  So what kind of situation are you monitoring.  DMZ?, gig
ethernet?  Dual interfaces? Lots of traffic, lots of flows?
What kind of hardware are you using?

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022