argus option review

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Fri Jan 26 06:26:05 EST 2001

David Brumley wrote:

> > The biggest one is "-p".  Should we be in promiscuous mode by default?
> > My bet is no.  Do we have any other votes/opinions?
>
> My vote is to go into promisc mode by default.

	I agree with that. This option is a sort of standard
for many programs which use BPF/Libpcap, so it should have the
standard behavior, to comply with the principle of least
surprise.

> I would leave it off by default.

	I agree, also. The previous version logged to files and this
is new functionality. If someone starts argus with a script
used with the previous versions, according to the famous
principle, it shouldn't listen for network connections.

	Borja.