Not to start a war, but...BSD, linux...

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Jan 18 09:51:17 EST 2001

	While I have been sick for some months and not yet gotten back to
testing, Redhat 6.3 on 3c509 cards (and a non stock 3c509 driver that is
better than the 3com default one) was able to keep up with a 100 meg stream
(argus-1.8.1) generated by tcpreplay where FreeBSD 4.1 on the same machine
was not. There may be kernel tuning issues (such as that ktrace was still on
in the FreeBSD kernel) and the numbers are peliminary as I said. In addition
there is a BPF bug in FreeBSD 4.1 and below. It is reported and a patch is
available I think but I don't know if it has made 4.2 yet. It results in
argus losing (because bpf never passes them up) the last bit of an incompletely
full buffer. I'm hoping to get to doing some performance testing of CPU boards,
disks and operating systems (all on identical machines). I'll note in passing
that our Beowolf maintainer achieved some 294 megs per second on this same
pair of machines using Redhat 6.3 and 3 channel bonded 3c509 cards which is
pretty impressive.