argus memory use on Linux 2.2.18

Chris Newton newton at unb.ca
Mon Feb 19 12:42:44 EST 2001

>   Argus does around 10-20K packets/sec in this situation,
>80-200 Mbps load, average around 10K pkts/sec, 95 Mbps, with about 80-90K
>simultaneous flows, and uses about 18-20% CPU.  As I mentioned earlier,
>about 400 bytes per flow, and I've seen this machine do as
>many as 500,000 simultaneous flows.
>
>   This is monitoring the CMU to the outside world link, I believe.

  Ok, sounds impressive.  How many machines are on CMU's network, that are
generating these 90K flows?

  Also, is that 90K flows seen over a period of time (say, 5 minutes), or is
that 90K flows at 'any given instant' with the total flows for a period of
time being much higher?

  I'm trying to get an idea of how busy a link (MB/s, thousands of computers
on the local net), given limitless hardware (say I had money to buy the
fastest box out there, with the fastest network card, fastest disks and tons
of memory), could argus  generate accurate flow logs for.

  For instance (with the fastest hardware available), can argus generate
proper flow stats for a link running at 500 Mbit/s, with say 5000 client
computers on the 'local' side, generating the numbers of flows 5000 users
would generate?

Thanks

Chris