argus memory use on Linux 2.2.18

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Feb 19 12:19:16 EST 2001

Hey Chris,
   Peter Van Epp has been our performance guy for a while,
and so he may have some numbers for you, especially between
OS's and hardware.

   So this machine has 2 gigEthernet interfaces, which argus
is reading from simultaneously.  It has 256M of memory, and
it maybe a 600Mhz PIII (?), but Mark or Walter will know that
better than I.  I have no idea what the memory bandwidth is
I suspect FSB at 100 Mhz.

   Argus does around 10-20K packets/sec in this situation,
80-200 Mbps load, average around 10K pkts/sec, 95 Mbps, with about 80-90K
simultaneous flows, and uses about 18-20% CPU.  As I mentioned earlier,
about 400 bytes per flow, and I've seen this machine do as
many as 500,000 simultaneous flows.

   This is monitoring the CMU to the outside world link, I believe.

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022

carter at qosient.com