argus-2.0.0 tuning

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Apr 4 17:13:14 EDT 2001

Hey Chris,
   The existing architecture for Argus is designed with
SMP boxes in mind.  Argus is interrupt driven (packets),
so having another processor to redistribute the interrupt
load will be very nice.  Argus constrains itself a lot
so that it won't be away from the packet input queue too
long.   The self scheduling strategies are what limit our
ArgusRecord throughput, and another processor would make
most of those self scheduling issues go away.

   With the FlowModeler dedicated to a single processor,
and all the other stuff hanging on the other processor, the
Multiplexor, and the Record Dispatcher(s) and the kernel,
the total amount of system record throughput will go up
dramatically, and packet loss will go down as well.

   Also, you need cycles to do the audit file management,
aggregation, compression and distribution of the audit data.
So having some extra cycles is always a good thing.

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022

carter at qosient.com