argus-2.0.0 tuning

Chris Newton newton at unb.ca
Wed Apr 4 13:15:19 EDT 2001

>===== Original Message From <carter at qosient.com> =====
>Hey Chris,
>   Hmmm, my math must be off, but with all options on
>the average record size may be near 228-256 bytes, and
>of course if your capturing user data, then upwards of
>400-500 bytes per record is a better number.

  Yes, you are very close.  I am calculating the average record size each time
I process the logs... and I get about 241 bytes.

>   One of the CMU machines that we're using is in the
>same performance range as yours.  240MB processes
>are the norm, they are handling around 85K to 100K
>simultaneous flows, and generating near max record
>throughput at peak.  The tuning we've done has eliminated
>the load exits that you are seeing, but the patches that
>I am doing now should make this much more stable under
>sustained load, which is the goal.

  Yes, this is an important goal.  I'd like to see Argus be able to handle a
whallop from the network (many many thousands of tiny packets), and still deal
with it (assuming the hardware can deliver it to argus, that is).

>   Any chance you could test on a dual-processor machine?
>That would eliminate your problems, after the tuning.

  I do have a dual processor P2 400 Mhz.  I understand the basics of why you
want a dual processor machine, but maybe you could explain some of the load
characteristics of Argus as to why a dualy is optimal.  I am about to order
some hardware... so, I might change my puchasing plans. :)

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Newton, Systems Analyst
Computing Services, University of New Brunswick
newton at unb.ca 506-447-3212(voice) 506-453-3590(fax)